Wednesday 10 April 2013

Don't Be A Victim - Makeover Session Review



I signed up for the free session expecting to learn about "correct skin care and the latest make-up application techniques and trends from the experts" as was advertised in the newspaper.




I arrived at the location armed with my notebook and pen; chose my seat and waited excitedly for the session to begin.



Disappointment soon set in as I quickly realized that it was actually make up testing disguised as makeovers.  The whole thing was just a sales gimmick - you were supposed to love your makeover so much that you ended up buying some or all of the products used.  It really was a smart move on their part; kudos to them.

My first reaction was to leave because I did not want a makeover.  All of the horrible past experiences (read about them herehere and here) have left me very traumatized at the thought of someone else applying my make-up.  I eventually decided to stay and observe what was happening in the hope of learning something.

The makeovers got off to a great start.  I nodded my approval as he cleansed, toned and moisturised the faces. I was impressed when he used the correct shades of foundation and powder on both dark and fair skin tones.  Believe it or not; a small part of me was even considering getting a makeover.

BUT one thing kept me glued to my chair - the make-up artist was not sanitizing his tools/products.  He was double dipping (read Error #6 and Tip #6).  He was also using the same brushes, mascara wand and lipstick on everyone which would spread germs, bacteria and infections.  I shuddered in my chair and tried to look elsewhere during those unsanitary moments.

Image Source: www.beautysoclean.com

Sadly, the fifth person's make-over did not go as well as the others. Initially the selected shade was perfect  but as her face began to perspire the make-up started to look ashy.  By the time he finished; she looked as though she was wearing flour or baby powder on her face.

She loved it though, and bought every product that he used.  I felt so sorry for her and for the fact that I was not in a position to advise her. I was merely a fellow participant; and an unknown while the host was an international expert.

Tell me honestly; whose opinion would you have believed - the international expert and host of the session or the casually dressed, local, unknown with the neutrally made-up face?

I sincerely hope that others will learn from my experiences which I share in my posts and not have to find out the hard way like me.  It is important to know when a make-up professional is giving good or bad advice...our beauty is at stake. 

"...because your make-up should always BE (Blend and Enhance)." - Nakita Squires

2 comments:

  1. Okay girlie. I know what to do if I ever go to one of these things. Take you with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan to me Jacintha.

    We really have to educate ourselves about make-up best practices; otherwise we will end up looking like a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete