Wednesday 3 April 2013

Don't Be A Victim - Bridal Make-up Gone Wrong

Your face should look better after applying make-up and you should feel better about yourself.

Unfortunately, this was not the case for the bride or myself when a make-up artist did our faces for her wedding in 2006.

The make-up artist set up her station in a room with poor natural lighting; and I kept wondering what had possessed her to do that.  She wasn't even close to a window; and I had seen better lit areas that could have been used.  Even I knew that good lighting was one of the keys to creating gorgeous make-up; and I realised just how important it was thanks to this experience.

It was no surprise to me that the shade used was too dark, the make-up was applied too heavily and the bride and I looked like golliwogs.  Below is an accurate depiction of how our make-up looked:



We were so disappointed and upset; especially after seeing the beautiful make-up of the other bridesmaids and the maid of honour.  They all had lighter skin tones and so did the make-up artist; she clearly lacked experience in applying make-up to dark skin tones.  The bridesmaids and maid of honour tried to console us as they quickly realised how awful we looked compared to them.

Luckily for me I had brought my Iman Cream to Powder Foundation and Luxury Pressed Powder just in case; and luckily for the bride I knew what to do to fix her face.

Without wasting any time; I wiped off the excess make-up with tissue.  I then used my foundation and powder to give our faces a more natural look.  I am happy to say that the Iman products were a perfect match.

We all high-fived each other as we rushed to get dressed.  Thankfully everyone was now equally gorgeous and the bride was a show-stopper.

The bride thanked me so much for saving the day; her moment in time had almost been ruined.  Can you imagine how horrible it would have been for her if that mess had been captured forever in the minds of her guests, in the wedding video and in the wedding photos?

This should never have happened; not for such a momentous occasion.

Make-up artists we have a huge responsibility resting on our shoulders to ensure our clients look their best -  let's not take it lightly.

"...because your make-up should always BE (Blend and Enhance)." - Nakita Squires

No comments:

Post a Comment